- Name: Antonio Ortiz
- Position: Long snapper
- College: Texas Christian University
- Height: 6’4 “
- Weight: 245 pounds
- Twitter: @antjortiz
- Instagram: @antjortiz
What do you hope to show the Boy Scouts at the 2022 Hula Bowl?
- I hope to show the scouts that I am a consistent, reliable snapper who can block and cover as well. I want to show Scouts that I am coachable, hardworking and eager to learn because I want to be the best I can be. I hope to show the Scouts that I am a great teammate and someone who will be a great addition to their team.
If you could donate to any cause around the world, what would it be?
- I would donate for cancer research. I have lost family members to cancer and know that many people have been touched by cancer so I would donate to help find a cure for cancer and help those who are currently affected.
Tell our readers something the world might not know about you? (Special talents)
- I can solve a Rubik’s Cube.
What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
- “What the mind can conceive and believe it can achieve.” This is the best advice because it means I can achieve whatever I want if I know what I want to accomplish and if I believe I can do it. My mindset is incredibly important because no matter how good I am at something, if I don’t believe in myself I can’t achieve any of my goals.
What’s your favorite song to listen to before kick-off?
- “Friend Like You” by Bliss n Eso, Lee Fields
If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
- I would be a dog if I could be an animal. More precisely a Vizsla because they are very loyal, affectionate and attached to their owners. I would love to play outside, cuddle, eat, and then go to the bathroom wherever I want outside.
Overcoming adversity is what defines character, what was the most difficult moment in your life to overcome?
- I tore my labrum on my right shoulder and had to have an operation. I was worried that I wouldn’t be slamming as well as before and that I wouldn’t be in great shape to play next season. It was very difficult mentally and I learned so much from this experience. This time in my life taught me to trust the process and work hard. I really had to shut the blinders on and focus on what was happening in the present moment so that I could achieve what I wanted in the long run. It was difficult but I came back stronger than before.
If you could compare your game to an NFL player, who would it be?
- I would compare my game to that of James Winchester because we are similar in size and he is an athletic long snapper. It can break, block, and then cover the ground well.
Did you have a favorite player or team in the NFL when you were little?
- My favorite team growing up was the Dallas Cowboys and they’re still my favorite team today. My favorite player growing up was Jason Witten because I wanted to be a tight end like him. He’s the reason I was number 82 in high school.
If you could have dinner with three people, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
- I had dinner with my uncle Rick, Justin Bieber and Christian Pulisic. My Uncle Rick passed away in June 2020 and he was one of my biggest fans. He’s part of why I’m here today, and I’d love to tell him about my accomplishments and goals for the future. I chose Justin Bieber because he is one of my favorite musical artists. I would like to talk about his life and ask questions about his music. I chose Christian Pulisic because I am a Chelsea fan and I support him. It would be great to talk about his experience playing in the Premier League as a young American.