OLYMPIA FIELDS, Ill. – At Sam Choi’s 2-under 68 paced Pepperdine’s men’s golf team in Saturday’s second round at the season opener OFCC/Fighting Illini Invitational, but the Waves slipped to 11th place.
The Waves have a two-day total of 578 (289-289) at country club Olympia Fields by 70. This tournament features each of the past four national champions (including Pepperdine in 2021) and six of the top 10 teams in the pre-coaches poll. -season, as well as 10 participants ranked in the top 25.
- Graduate Sam Choi (Anaheim, Calif./New Mexico) moved up to 12th with an even par of 140 (72-68) after their 2-under. He had five birdies that day, including a stretch with three of five holes midway through the round.
- Graduate Derek Hitchner (Minneapolis, Minn./The Blake School) is tied for 19th at 143 (70-73). He had three birdies on Saturday.
- Graduate Roberto Nieves (Miami, Fla./Delaware) is tied for 42nd at 146 (71-75).
- Graduate Luke Gifford (Boca Raton, Fla./South Florida) is tied for 59th at 149 (76-73). He birdied in the second round.
- Senior Guillaume Mouw (Chino, Calif./Ontario Christian HS) is 70th at 152 (77-75). He had three birdies on Saturday.
The Waves will start on the 10th tee for Sunday’s third and final round at 7:45 a.m. CT / 5:45 a.m. PT. They will be twinned with Florida State and North Carolina.
Team scores: 1.Stanford 551; 2. State of Arizona 558; 3. Illinois 559; 4. Florida 564; 5. Oklahoma State 567; 6. Alabama 571; 7.Arizona 574; T8. Indiana 575; T8. Baylor 575; T8. State of Florida 575; 11. Pepperdine 578; T12. North Carolina 579; T12. Texas 579; 14. Northwest 584; 15. Army 610.
Best Individuals: 1. Adrien Dumont of Chassart (Illinois) 132; 2. Ryggs Johnston (Arizona State) 134; 3. Tommy Kuhl (Illinois) 135; T4. Ricky Castillo (Florida) 136; T4. Karl Vilips (Stanford) 136.